Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Default Re: Auschwitz I & II Aug 2010

There was thousands of jewish kids there with the flags draped around them and that and the little hats on, but they wernt as quiet as the ones you were talking about!

Thanks

Well we know we were there on different days, don't we?
    Life's too short to suck a mushroom

Thanks

Ever the comedian!

Thanks

A joke always hides a sadness

Have a good day
    Life's too short to suck a mushroom

Sleep Asylum...under VERY heavy audio sedation.
    Thanks

A sad place but as already said, it should never be forgotten. I went to Buchenwald when I was in Germany. Everyone should visit one of these places at least once and as someone in our tutor group said, all teenagers should be made to visit a former concentration camp. Personally, I didn't take pics in Buchenwald and spent my time looking around. We didn't have a lot of time, as it was part of OU and I decided I would devote what little time I had there to see as much as I could because I felt it was important to see this place and appreciate how terrible it truly was.

Two things that disturbed me were how the commanding officer had a pretty zoo built to "distract from work" whilst the prisoners lived in conditions way nastier than the animals and the execution area decked out to look like an examination room. Basically, they would tell a prisoner they were being measured and at the back of the ruler was a hole. An SS Officer would be in an alcove behind with a pistol and could shoot a prisoner in the back of the neck without having to look in the eyes. There was also a crematorium in Buchenwald. When the place was opened, they would have prisoners cremated in the municipal crematorium and sent to their families. However, they were killing too many so they brought in portable ovens. This wasn't enough so they build the crematorium to keep the fires burning 24/7. In the end, no one knew when a loved one perished there.

If anyone is going there, try to see the art exhibition. There are some amazing paintings from prisoners that are horrifying and tell stories straight from the captives. Buchenwald is easy to get to from Weimar train station on the bus. Amazingly, no one in the town would believe what was happening out there and American forces rounded up 1000 citizens and made them see what had happened.
    "Mad dogs were just mad and the woolen numbness of anaesthesia."

Dystopian Wanderer's Photo Bucket.

"Dogs and cats are better than kids-they don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children."

Don't let time crumble away your own structure-support life extension <<CLICK TO LEARN MORE>>.

Thanks

A good report on a difficult subject, well done Krypton.
    Snort,fart, burble, dribble, belch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123