The Hospital is now undergoing demolition, the only listed part being the chapel, which will be saved.
The Middlesex Hospital site lies within the East Marylebone
Conservation Area and adjacent to the western boundary of the Charlotte Street Conservation Area (in the London Borough of Camden).
The site is bounded by Mortimer Street, Nassau Street,
Riding House Street and Cleveland Street and has an area of 1.2ha and was until recently entirely in hospital use. The site is occupied by a large number of different buildings dating from the 18th Century to the 1980’s. Whilst the existing buildings are internally linked, in townscape terms the site comprises a number of discrete elements, as set out in the following paragraphs.
The “H” building: This building fronts onto Mortimer Street, with a side elevation to Cleveland Street. It provides the main entry to the Hospital, which is reached via a surface car park. Constructed in 1929, it comprises seven levels, plus roof level, and a basement and subbasement. It has been much altered internally and provides most wards and theatres.
10 Mortimer Street: This Grade II Listed Building lies on the corner of Mortimer Street and Nassau Street and is four storeys, designed in the Arts and Crafts Tudor style. 10 Mortimer Street is linked to the “H” building to the east by a building of six storeys.
Buildings fronting the length of Nassau Street: a series of unlisted buildings built at the beginning of the 20th Century. They are four to five storeys with stone and brick facades and are linked internally to the main H block and 10 Mortimer Street.
The Middlesex Hospital Chapel
The Grade II* listed chapel - between the “H” building and the
buildings fronting Nassau Street. The chapel is the only remaining portion of the earlier hospital building and was constructed in 1891. It is of Italian Gothic style, with ornate mosaic and marble interior decoration.
This very important Grade II* listed building was built between 1891-1929 in an Italian Gothic style by John and Frank LoughboroughPearson. The Middlesex Hospital was rebuilt around the Chapel, following demolition of the original hospital building, in 1927. It is vital, therefore, that its special architectural and historic interest is safeguarded. The building should remain in situ and alterations are unlikely to be considered favourably.
Architect Of The Magnificent Chapel
John Loughborough Pearson (1817-97) is one of the most famous of the Victorian church architects.
Born in Durham, he was the son of a watercolour artist, William Pearson of Durham. At the age of 14 he was apprenticed to Ignatius Bonomi in Durham, and there developed his lifelong interest in church architecture.
Pearson went to London, working for Anthony Salvin and then Philip Hardwick, before establishing his own practice in 1843. St Anne's, Ellerker, near Hull (1843-44) was his first solo church, and his first major work in London was Holy Trinity, Bessborough Gardens (1849-52).
Pearson's reputation grew, and he became one of the more successful establishment figures, becoming ARA in 1874 and being elected RA in 1880. He was architect to several of the great Cathedrals — Rochester, Bristol, Peterborough, and Lincoln.
Pearson evolved a Gothic style, at first influenced by Pugin, but he later turned to French Gothic. Many of his churches feature the vertical, with tall towers. His son Frank Loughborough Pearson joined the office in 1881, and admitted to FIBRA 1900.
Pearson Senior died on 11th December 1897 and is buried in Westminster Abbey