Thanks

Arrow Packin' More Heat, Manchester - July 2010.

Packin' More Heat, Manchester - Visited By Ojay & Mortaldecay.

Well after chasing our tails for a while on this one, with many hints and suggestions most of which turned out to be red herrings we now had to spend more time researching possible locations, not too mention the last week of lifting lids here there and everywhere in some 'on top' locations.

After studying maps and drawings and many old photos, we now had a very good idea where this was, another drive into Manchester to lift a few final lids sealed the deal.

After popping the final (HEAVY) liddage which as I shone down my torch and peered in could finally say "this is it".

The search was over, and so I descended the rusty rungs, into the darkness and through what seemed like years of cobwebs

Once we were both safely down, we were in a large underground chamber with 2 huge motors (used for lowering the Penstocks).

The purpose of this system, is to divert/control the flow between the 2 Davyhulme Outfall sewers 'A' and 'B'. These massive trunk sewers run parallel at this point, with a connecting brick tunnel to allow flow to pass either side once either of the Penstocks are lowered. (A balancer if you like).

Through the middle of the chamber was a walkway, which allowed us to walk across to each side of the 2 trunk sewers

Here there were 2 massive Penstocks, used to control the flow, with counter weights. These were operated by the machinery in the earlier photo

Looking down you can see the trunk known as Davyhulme 'B' with the overflow tunnel on the left

To the right was another brick shaft about 15ft down

Quickly climbing down, I was right in the 'Fresh' of the Davyhulme trunk, with Manchesters finest rapid flowing nuggets and a smell which I am now somewhat accustomed too

To the Left is Davyhulme 'A'

With this RBP, used to balance/divert the turdstream across to Davyhulme 'B' if and when required

Clever eh, well I was impressed

Thanks for looking

Thanks

Default Re: Packin' More Heat, Manchester - July 2010.

I like your reports and these are cool places. I hope to see some of this one day.

Excellent.
    Under the radar, over the top

Thanks

Excellent stuff!
    I can only assume that popping open man hole covers in Manchester is common place!
    "It looks like its an awful long way down.........................Ouch.... actually, its not that far"!!

Thanks

It's not the poop, believe me guys. Thanks for the kind comments as ever. These places are fascinating examples of victorian brickwork & construction, and for some reason I keep motiviated to documenting them, likewise you guys reporting stuff that I cannot be arsed to go and look at due to lack of ppl to hook up with.

The average UE is not interested in drains, therefore I have to go it solo or drag ppl along kicking and screaming LOL.

I must say, I really enjoy this forum, with excellent reports, photography and best of all NO SHIT or ATTITUDE, juist genuine people, that I would like to meet at some stage.

Sadly my Manchester exploits have been thwarted for a time, but I will be moving to other cities to see what all the fuss is about.

Bye for now

Ojay