Chop Gate ROC Post - Yorkshire Group 57M

THIS POST IS SECURLY LOCKED AND NOTHING OF VALUE LEFT IN IT

Tbar Mech In Need Of Help

Battery Box?

Siren Box & Other Documents

Bone Dry
    Sump Works Like A Dream
    No Spiders
    SECURE SECURE SECURE SECURE SECURE LOCKED ON BATTLESHIPS, TBAR, AND OTHER PADLOCKS

Thanks's for Looking.

PS. This ones taken! Going to restore her

Il keep you posted with updates!

K!
    Last edited by Krypton; 13-05-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling was shit

Thanks

Default Re: Chop Gate ROC Post, Yorkshire Group, May 10

Been down today with Triplesix and all his welding gear. Put new hig carbon hasps on, fixed all the rustyness of the hatch, put a hasp over the tbar, cleared all the rubbish out, hoovered, straightened it all up, got the tbar working and primed it! Not bad for a days work

Before Work (CREDIT TO THIS PHOTO TO TRIPLESIX)

I still added the locking bar round aswell as the battleships for a bit more protection.

Before Work

After Tidyup

Tidy

A Good Days Work

Internal and External Paintwork Next!

K!
    Last edited by Krypton; 23-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Chop Gate ROC Post, Yorkshire Group, May 10

We managed to achieve a lot today,
    Took a BIG generator, welder, hoover, grinder, compressor and needle scaler and a Gazebo! NOTHING was to get in our way!
    Hatch was pretty rusty but not beyond hope, old hasps were removed and some impressively chunky ones were welded on, The sealing rim had come adrift on the underside of the hatch so that was fettled and welded back on and one of the hinge rods was halfway off so it was removed cleaned and welded back on with lots of weld.
    Tbar hole is now covered with a Hasp and staple
    TBar is now nice and free and locks securely.
    We took a Henry hoover! Are we the first people to hoover out an ROC post?
    I managed to lift the sump grate and Jack hoovered that out too.
    My next mission is to get the Lighting working and possibly the phone - Broadband anyone?
    Couple of my pics

The general scene!

Stripped back to Bare metal

Makers' plate discovered on the Tbar

Last edited by TripleSix; 23-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Thank You to Flickr for Hosting my Images

Trying to Stay off the Tourist Trail.

Thanks

Arrow Chop Gate ROC Post (RESTORATION)

For those that don’t know, I’m restoring Chop Gate ROC Post. I’ve decided to make it public now because I think I’m happy to say it is sufficiently secured! NOTHING AT ALL OF VALUE IS LEFT THERE. IT’S LOCKED AND ALARMED. The farmers house is so close that he will be able to hear the alarm – not to mention the whole village lol. If you do want to arrange a visit – just contact me – its not worth your effort to try and get in because its only going to be empty anyway.

When I first took it on it was bone dry underground but stripped. The post wasn’t secured very well. The hasps were cut off and the battleships were hanging precariously on the end of a chain. The lack of the tbar meant the hatch didn’t shut properly so the shaft was full of spiders and cobwebs. The hatch was also in a pretty bad way. It had rusted and was falling apart – this was what was going to cost the most – I thought.

Then TripleSix contacted me saying he was willing to help. I was wary at first not sure if he was going to turn up but then he arrived in his landy with every tool under the sun. Within hours the hatch was looking great. New high carbon hasps had been welded on and the whole hatch had been fixed. All the old paint had been scraped off and it was primed.

Next I decided I would try and get some internal items for the post. So I contacted the owners of Reeth and Croft ROC Post, who let me take whatever I thought would be useful. The items taken from these posts include, Coats, Wellies, Jerri Cans, Shelves, Tool Board, Pots and Pans, Paperwork, ROC Journals, Chairs and more. These items aren’t there and are in my garage.

Yesterday after buying all the paints my dad took me up there. All the concrete work around the hatch was re-done and the step was re-joined to the shaft. 2 hours later I was covered in green Hammerite but I was pleased with the finished result. All is painted except the spots were the concrete hadn’t dried, I’ll do that next week.

The latest addition to the post was today when the landowner of Middlesmoor ROC Post let me take the BT Communications out of it. If the ROC Post is private on this forum, you’ll be able to see the report from there. If not, you wont as he wants to keep it out of the public eye. It is secured with padlocks and totally stripped. If you wanted to visit, PM me and I can forward you his number. Its best that way anyway because he’ll give you a ride to the top of the hill on his quadbike lol.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read that. I think its safe to say that I must be the only 15yr old that spends his pocket money on green paint, cement and ROC Items 

The hatch was a mess.

Bad Hatch

The Monitoring Room was quite a mess.

PHASE TWO RESTORATION

The OBS Room was a mess.

With a little help from Henry…

It looked like this

And all the stuff was put at the back neatly

Whilst Upstairs

The Hatch Was Done

PHASE THREE RESTORATION
    We painted what we could, but not the bits where the wet concrete was, that’s why theres gaps. We also got the post lights working again.

Hatch getting painted green

FINISHED!

It looks shiny because its still wet lol.

The tools illuminated by the lights!!! (These are not in here now)

You cant tell me that doesn’t look Sexy!!

Well thanks for looking. As time progresses so will the work going on a ChopGate, so I will update this thread regularly with photos. Like I said, please don’t break in, theres noting left in and I don’t want to spend more money replacing hasps etc.
    Ive spent just over £240 already, but I have a feeling this is going to go up with the purchase of a BPI and a GZI lol.

To arrange a visit PM me.
    If you feel you want to donate money towards the upkeep costs, feel free at your own choice, to paypal money to jack.hanlon@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,

Krypton

Thanks

Default Re: Chop Gate ROC Post (RESTORATION)

Well i said i would update this so i am lol.
    Work commenced today at 9:25 and was wrapped up at 11:30 due to the footie however triplesix stayed and stung himself to bits cleaning up the compound.

I didnt really have time to take any photos but:

The toilet walls have been painted and boths sides of the door in white gloss. It looks so clean and fresh! All that needs doing in there is the silver on the vent.

The shelves i got from croft were assembled although im going to have to take them down again to get them into the tight squeeze inbetween the obs desk and the door. This wouldnt be the case if someone hadnt have made the desk non folding.

A bit of silver was painted on the hatch hinge - not the counterweight.

The front of the monitoring room door is half glossed.

The two big walls in the monitoring room have been emulsioned and most of the wood for the copper strips has been done.

The shaft is half painted at the bottom.

Were gonna have a whole day there in the next few weeks to get all the painting sorted and reistablish a compund around it.

The open day is scheduled for 22nd of August this year - so keep that date free!!!!!

Jack

Thanks

Hedges are cut back now, although you can't really tell.
    Grass all cut
    Did some measuring for more secca....

Thank You to Flickr for Hosting my Images

Trying to Stay off the Tourist Trail.

Thanks

Ok - so i was up at the post today for a good 4 hours.
    Id been warned about the shaft - and they wernt wrong.
    If it wasnt for precariously balancing the paint on the ladders whilst simultaneusly balancing myself on the ladders whilst at the time yeilding a paintbrush it was being close to the top of the shaft and getting blinded by the sun coming out and reflecting off the brilliant whiteness. I got the hole of the shaft done apart from the majority of the side which you have your back to when descending and ascending the ladders. I tried turning round on the ladders and having paint dangled down to me but i thought i was gonna fall, so changed my mind. Tips on how to do this bit would be good.

It was dissapointing when i unlocked the toilet door to fnd that some of the paint - after two weeks hadnt dried and had ran down the walls leaving pools on the floor, streak marks and gaps of dirty cream paint everywhere. Odd.

After unlocking the Obs room door i thought all looked well, untill i leaned on the wall and found my self slipping along it. 70% of the emulsion hadnt dried in there for some bizarre reason. Also at the back of the post where the beds should be everything was quite damp. The battery box had got wet and the mattresses. Some odd paperwork which i hadnt took home also got wet. I put this down to the vent being open. Since 1991 the vent had been closed and had no condesation/damp problems. So about 3 weeks ago and opening the vent - this has started to happen so i have left the vent shit to see if this makes a difference.

It was nice to see that the gloss had dried really nice. The gloss was finished i.e doors, desk, cupboard wooden strips all around the room. The only thing i didnt gloss was the shelves, as one, id nearly run out of gloss and was started to get high and two i thought the dirty creamy old colour would add a splash of authentticity to the whitewashed room.

All the paintwork is now finished apart from the difficult wall of the shaft and the hallway silver - sump pipe and grille.

All the crap which i hant tied up was took out and back to the car - the pictures show the room before i had done this.

Outside i gave everywhere another coat.

I also took the mouldy clothes home which i hadnt took out and cleaned them. Im awaiting a call from the neighbors to ask why we have such strange things on the line!

Next job is getting the bunkbeds in and painted.

On with the pics.

PS. if the paint hasnt dried by the next time im there im going to have a breakdown.

Nice desk

Its coming allong nicely!

Jack

Thanks

Went again today. Got quite a lot done.

The whole of the shaft is now painted.
    Excess paint was wiped off the walls in the observer room.
    The gloss has all dried.
    All the silver paint apart from the counterweight was finished.
    Sump grille was done.
    All the rubbish was taken out.
    It now just needs a good hoover to get up bits of coir mat that went everywhere.
    Whilst mooching in the aircraft post - i found a full set of keys and tbar to the post! I quickly picked these up!
    Whilst putting paint away in that huggeee shed (which i believe was a ww2 mess cabin) i found another 5 battleship keys, 3 tbars and a load of other keys for the post.

That brings my key total to:

Tbars - 4
    Battlsehips - 7
    Toilet - 3
    Observer Room - 3

Just all laying around in prying eyes! (Not now - of course)

Didnt take any photos as last time my case got covered in paint.

Theres stuff on the walls and shelves now (Nothing of value - just photocopied posters, papers, pots and pans etc)

Im safe to say it looks like an ROC Post now!

ROLL ON THE OPEN DAY!

I also spoke to an ex observer who gave me a load of old photos. The post should be painted olive green - but never mind

Jack

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ERNIE99_UK View Post
    Its be great if i found some operational pictures of skipsea sometime. I could do with a tbar key lol
    I have lots! A selection of ROC Post keys

Yes - they are all the same !

Can you not track down any ex observers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast