Thanks

Arrow The 'Processor' and Potters Lane CSO, Manchester - April 2010

The Processor Drain, Manchester.

Upstream from the infall of Inhospitable that flows through into the Works chamber we visited a few weeks back is the Processor.

It's proper name is Potters Lane Combined Sewer Overflow which runs into the Moston Brook; the Processor filters out the nuggets before discharging the sewerfresh into the Brook. (Not that often I hasten to add!).

However there are a couple of CSO's upstream, one of which is leaking and discharging sewerfresh into the Brook (Nice), which went some way to explaining the amount of poop in 'Inhospitable' we encountered whilst in there, oh and the smell.

Here is a picture of the section underground near to where the Processor is situated during construction

This was probably the inspection chamber I passed on the way, here was the entrance into it

And here is a much older piccy I found from back when it was first constructed

Anyway after entering the outfall of the CSO, which has been repaired in recent years due to the collapse of the existing brickwork, it was a bit of a mooch upstream in a large RBP before eventually joining up with the less interesting RCP.

Looking downstream

Into the RBP

And on...

Again this was a fair mooch, over half a mile as the pipe twisted left then right then left before eventually straightening out. The whole section I'm led to believe is just under 2 miles long before it finally reaches the infall.

RBP meets RCP

More RCP beyond the Processor

On the way I passed some smaller surface overflows and at least 2 smaller CSO's one of which leaks sewerfresh. Also there was a large inspection chamber on the left about halfway up, I didn't bother with this as I have seen my share of these before.

Eventually after about another 200 yards I arrived at the entrance to the 'processor room'.

On the way in you pass this smaller concrete section where sewerfresh once again flows through

Through to the left, one arrives in the giant 'processor room'. Here this machine kicks in when the sewer levels breach the chamber to filter out the poop, not that it matters as it's leaking anyway!

You can see the sewerfresh flowing through on the otherside

Anyway didn't stick around in here too long as the air quality was poor, it stunk real bad, was very humid and taking piccy's was difficult due to the mist and poop particles filtering the light of the torch.

Outta here

Thanks for looking

Thanks

Default Re: The 'Processor' and Potters Lane CSO, Manchester - April 2010

I can only commend you on these explores. I love doing the underground stuff, getting a bit messy and wet is often part of the deal - but I draw the line at sharing the space with a river of toilet nasties!!! You have my respect, and I'd happily shake your hand - although i'd insist you wash your hands thoroughly first!!!
    I have a plan that is so cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Thanks

That's a great report mate, decent shots and history and old shots too. Good stuff

Thanks

Maximum Respect.
    Thank You to Flickr for Hosting my Images

Trying to Stay off the Tourist Trail.

Thanks

Awesome

Thanks

Very good
    The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.

Thanks

Smile Re: The 'Processor' and Potters Lane CSO, Manchester - April 2010

Poo-tastic once again ojay, sounds like it was pretty grim here even for you mate! Good pics, history & archive parts as ever!

Thanks

Great pictures, an explore in a foul water sewer wouldnt be for me though- id be cautious of what nasties i could catch in there.
    Saviour of the sporran