Thanks

Arrow Hardknott Roman Fort 300310

A very wet and overcast Cumbrian day with chances of SNOW or so the nice man on the morning radio said; set the scene for a run out to the end of the Eskdale Valley, particularly onto the start of the ascent of Hardknott Pass where we find the remains of the Roman Fort and Garrison built in the second century AD.............................
    First photo tells us everything we need to know....

And everything else is mostly self explanitory...... Ruins, Remains, Stonework, Sheep, and so on........

After looking around the ruins of the fort and admiring the craftsmanship of the stonework, I noticed an area to the north east that looked raised and is almost level which doesnt tie in with the surrounding area, it turns out that this was a marching / parade ground

Please note the craftsmanship of the stone, as all stone was quarried and cut onsite, in what I can only assume were wet, bleak and windy conditions
    "It looks like its an awful long way down.........................Ouch.... actually, its not that far"!!

Thanks

Default Re: Hardknott Roman Fort 300310

Been here myself many times, and the drive up to it is very scary first time you do it LOL

Were you climbing Scafell or something? you could do it from the fort easily.
    Under the radar, over the top

Thanks

Default Re: Hardknott Roman Fort 300310

I've been here too - it is pretty amazing to thing that those walls have been there for nearly a couple of thousand years, particularly when there are buildings being demolished in Leeds (and everywhere else) that were built twenty years ago.