Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow Thompson's Mill, Bradford, March '10

This place is getting a bit of traffic recently, and, as I was in the area a week ago, I thought it would be rude not to have a look at Thompson's Mill when I was passing. Like the "don't go draining when it's raining rule" I felt it was time there was an "In the sunshine, it is mill time" one.
    History is a bit sketchy on this place; this is the best I can manage I'm afraid readers. It appears that this place is the second oldest mill in Bradford (Holme mil - 1800, pretty much opposite is the oldest) This place was built in 1801/2 by Mr Piele, (a dyer) at two different periods, and at one time was two different mills. Look -here they are. It's both of these buildings, but not the pub.

Let's start at the front shall we? By 1833, Mr Benjamin and Matthew Thompson owned the whole of this mill. Today, it lies empty, trashed and open to the elements, the smack heads and the firestarters.

Anything of value has long been taken away by unmarked vans and flatbed trucks, leaving a shell of a building.

In the adjoining part between the two original buildings, evidence of a recent fire is everywhere, ceilings and walls smoke stained and exposed beams are charred and blackened. An upside down poster advertising "the New Aga" has somehow survived.

I left behind the rubble and headed up the stone steps onto the first, and without doubt the best floor of the mill at the back of the site. I loved it here. I usually hate exploring alone - I don't push myself, and I get irritated with my breathing, but this level was excellent, and I spent ages here, wandering around with the camera. Good times : )

I had struggled with massively over exposed pictures at first up here. It took a couple of minutes to realise I had my prescription sunglasses on. My glasses were still in the car, but I couldn't be bothered going back to get them. Everything took on a wonderful warm and almost sepia glow.

Sunlight streamed in through the windows into this workshop.

A broken chair was balanced precariously on top of wooden palettes. It demanded photographing.

It was evident that this floor had been divided up into smaller work shops at some point. I wandered around in the sun, snapping away.

As well as the fire damaged floor, it soon became apparent that the other levels were in a bad way. Light leaks down from above.

The looms are long gone; the mill silent. Titus Salt, (an important Bradford man, who went on to build the enormous Salt's Mill in Saltaire - named after him and the River Aire) had been experimenting with a Russian wool called Donskoi wool for worsted manufacture. He was unable to persuade manufacturers to make use of the wool, and was determined to do so himself. After careful experimentation, he fully succeeded, by means of special machinery which he set up in here.

Beautiful hand painted signs lie propped up in the corner.

The top level, with its lovely colours, is in a bad state. Like much of Bradford, it has been left to the elements, unloved, and forgotten. The once important location for an industry that shaped a city and clothed a nation is slowly rotting away, the distant echoes from the long gone looms and spinning machines blown away by the breeze that stirs the dust up here on the empty mill floor.

Thanks

Default Re: Thompson's Mill, Bradford, March '10

That looks nice, a mill I haven't done either :-)
    Under the radar, over the top

The land where men are men and sheep are dumb
    Thanks

More Mill goodness

Love those hand painted signs

Excellent
    ON A JOURNEY OF DECAY

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Nice pictures mate. Did this on film last summer. Can't believe I didn't go up to the top level though! Might have to have another mooch

Thanks

Lovely stuff. Great pics, as always
    The handpainted signs are so nice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    That looks nice, a mill I haven't done either :-)
    I'm sure you've done this Elvis! it's Mollets. Nice work ther BF you must have photographed the upside down table with the fern on it? great stuff.
    Described by Yorkshire Forward as "Irresponsible and illegal." Up yer Arse YF!

Thanks

I do have a shot of the upside down table with the fern on it! It was rubbish though

Thanks

Great stuff! Love that sepia shot.
    sqwasheress

Want to see my pics? ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/freebird_ubx/

or check this out and add your name to the member list
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/urbex_uk/

Thanks

Top notch report
    The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.

Thanks

Thanks guys. It occurred to me today, that this was the second mill to be built in Bradford the year after Holme Mill. Holme mill was actually rebuilt, which by my reckoning makes this the oldest mill in Bradfor, the mill capital of Britain. Sad that is is left to collapse then really. Good old Bradford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast