Thread: Thackley Tunnel

Thanks

Arrow Thackley Tunnel

Thackley tunnel is a railway tunnel on the Airedale Line from Leeds to Shipley then on to Bradford or Skipton. Built in 1844/5[citation needed], the tunnel is approximately 1,300 yards (1,200 m) long and cut through the prominent Thackley Hill to reduce travel time. The contractor chosen to build the Tunnel was James Bray, an iron and brass founder from Leeds who later contracted the construction of the Bramhope Tunnel on the Leeds to Thirsk main line.[1]
    Originally there was just one Tunnel bore but in 1900 the line was increased to four tracks and a second tunnel bore was built, one carrying the Fast lines from Leeds and the other the Slow lines. The Southern tunnel was closed in 1968 co-inciding with the final closure of the Great Northern Branch Line from Shipley to Laisterdyke via Idle and Thackley. At the Western mouth of the Tunnel stood the original Idle station (albeit closer to Thackley than Idle), which opened in 1847 and closed the following year in 1848.
    In 2003 Russel Trueman - Counsellor of Thackley decided to erect a fence round the surrounding area of the tunnel to stop people climbing onto the train tracks.
    (Wikipedia)

Last edited by Rochester; 11-03-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: title icon (green arrow)

Thanks

Default Re: Thackley Tunnel

Nice one fella, Just a point, can you please add the gree arrow to you exploration posts please?

Thank you.

(I've done it for you this time)
    Described by Yorkshire Forward as "Irresponsible and illegal." Up yer Arse YF!

Thanks

Great stuff mate. I really am going to have to find my shots, as this is a great tunnel to photograph.

Thanks

Great pics mate
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

Great set of pics!
    Love no. 4
    The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.

Thanks

One of my first ones this one, finally made it to the wall in 1996. There was at the time, alot of flooding in front of the wall, made it through by frogleaping on milk crates.

The wall thats midway was put up in response by BR hearing that trials bikes were going all the way through, much to the dismay of signallers maintaining signals at the Esholt end who used it as a shortcut, so i'm told anyhow!

Top pics.

Thanks

Cracking shots fella, good to meet you tonight
    Give me wine, I drain the dregs and toss the empty bottle at the world.

Handsome, witty, devastatingly charming and unstoppably immoral

Thanks

You too bud!