Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Re: Ffynnonau Duon No3, Licensed Mine 07

Quote Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
    Blackdamp (also known as stythe or choke damp) is a mixture of unbreathable gases formed when oxygen is removed from an enclosed atmosphere and largely replaced by nitrogen, argon, carbon dioxide and water vapour. The gas displaces oxygen in the air, lowering the available oxygen content to a level which is incapable of sustaining human or animal life; it is thus an asphyxiant. (wiki)

basically you can walk in to it without warning and your fucked before you have time to react. one of the range of nasties down old coal mines.

Thanks

I have one of those,

Thanks

And here it is in action

Thanks

kind of this is a saftey lamp which was carried by Officials and Deputies It differs from the traditional Miners lamp carried by colliers beacuse it has a lighting mechanism allowing the lamp to be re lit underground. the miners lamps were lit in the lamp room and then sealed before going underground they couldnt be re lit if they went out.

They also had a testing mechanism allowing you let a sample of air into the lamp through the vents on the side and then observe the effect it has on the flame, A system of gauzes keeps to much from getting at the flame and going boom in the case of Fire Damp(methane).

I have no idea how to read the flame though,

Thanks

they are quite cool things and even in the modern age with electronic gas testers its still a legal requirement for a lamp house to provide Safty lamps and Canaries. for use underground.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Sounds like a laugh a minute.
    Been done a couple of mines with doozer but never an old coal mine.
    And this is why... Coal reacts with the oxygen in the air all the time, not just when it's burnt, although the process is the same.

Basic chemistry, Coal is carbon (C), air is oxygen (O)

C + 2O -> CO2 - Carbon dioxide - unbreathable, but unreactive with human body. small volumes naturally occuring in air. Minor exposure - symptoms recede when casualty removed to well ventilated place. Major exposure = death

when you have limited air, for example in a badly ventilated mine or tunnel (for example the Victoria Tunnel?) the coal only reacts partly..

C + O -> CO - Carbon Monoxide - breathable, reacts with human blood by binding to haemoglobin in preference to oxygen, mild symptoms include flushed face, dizziness and laboured breathing, headache and impairment lasting beyond the initial exposure Exposure to any volume longer than a for couple of seconds results in instant collapse and death.

Add to that the risk of exposure to H2S - Hydrogen Sulphide or 'rotten eggs' smell which reacts with water in your nose to produce H2SO4 - Sulphuric acid, and which is also an asphyxiant (and by the way, when you stop smelling rotten eggs, sewer fans, it's because the Sulphuric acid has dissolved the olfactory nervous system of your nose).

I know people who have suffered mild effects of carbon monoxide in the Victoria Tunnels, one person who collapsed in a 'tourist' mine when he stepped out of the ventilated area to take samples and nearly died if it hadn't been for his quick thinking colleague who, whilst feeling the effects herself, pulled his unconscious body out (the whole episode took maybe 5 seconds?) and one person who now has no sense of smell thanks to exposure to H2S.

This is why I give holes with coal in (whether they be ironstone mines, old coal wagonways etc etc) a really wide berth, unless I know they're well ventilated.

Nice tubs, by the way.
    Flickr kindly host my images for me. My flickr page is here

Thanks

yes in theory they should have some in the lamp house, they still have to keep them at Big Pit, Blaenavon even though its just a museium now because its an actual underground tour its still covered by Mines and Quarry's legislation. i'll post up some pics o Big Pit in the way back thread when i go home

Thanks

great pics and very interesting reading
    yesterday is history.tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift thats why is called present

Thanks

Thanks

yeah please do, i would be interested to see, i love mines
    x2

Am also loving that lamp, very nice indeed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast