Thanks

Arrow Connaught Tunnel, London - January 2010

Hi!!!

Haven't posted on here for a while, but noticed that this location hasn't appeared too may times.

The Connaught Tunnel was a part of the North London Line and runs directly under the cill of the passage between the Royal Victoria Dock and Royal Albert Dock. It was closed for urgent repairs when it was discovered that ships were scraping their keels on the tunnel roof. It currently awaiting redevelopment by Cross Rail. The middle part of the tunnel is iron ringed and was constructed in almost the same fashion as the deep level tube lines. The track is still largely intact in the northbound tunnel; surprising considering that rationalisation of the line resulted in only the southbound tunnel being used for passenger services from 1969, and that goods services ceased using the northbound tunnel in 1993.
    This was a new direction for me and my son, but we were accompanied by someone who had some tunnel experience. We had a cool time and it was our first chance to have a crack at photographing in total darkness using light painting and I like to think we had a bit of a result. I was pleased as I was using a point and shoot Canon Powershot (my beloved partner's camera) which had various long exposure settings and a Duracell 160 lumens daylight torch for the lighting. We're not experienced or professionals so go easy on the critique - lol ;-)

Hope you like the images.

TEAM MO2W - INTO THE DARKNESS THEY WENT............

Last edited by boxfrenzy; 02-02-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: green arrow

Thanks

Default Re: Connaught Tunnel, London - January 2010

I love this one. After seven years of working in the open sewer that was Silvertown I spent many a miserable 4 minutes traveling east through here, and nine hours later a joyful 4 minutes traveling west. It looks grand and has loads of character. The twin bore and air shaft shot is a winner
    There was a disused church the other side of the track (Tate and Lyle side) but I think it is used.
    I think Tate's institute is closed though.(The one with the pointy roof on yer first shot)

Can you resize the shots mate please -too big.
    Last edited by boxfrenzy; 02-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

Very nice little bit of tunnelage there!
    Always nice to see unused tracks still in place!
    "It looks like its an awful long way down.........................Ouch.... actually, its not that far"!!

Thanks

Good stuff,great pics, looks a good explore

Thanks

some great pics there mate ..is this the track where Gerard Butler is chased by the mad russian in Rocknrolla ?

Last edited by coops; 07-02-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: cant spell
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

good stuff i like this one m8

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive comments and sorry about the picture sizes - I'll sort it in the next day or so. This was a great explore and has certainly given me a taste for tunnels, a couple of which we'll be visiting soon.

@coopsleeds: yep, it's the very same piece of track. One of the many reasons why I wanted to visit this site along with the fact I've been fascinated by the look of the place for a while.

Thanks

Nice work MOTW

Love this one!

Actually danger in my maiden name...

My Flickr