Thanks

Arrow Auxiliary Unit Operations Base, Craigtoun, Fife - July 09

Since hearing of them I've always been interested in the Auxiliary Units, and the emergency planning made by the British, fearful of the Nazi machine marauding it's way through Europe and across the Channel to these shores in the early 1940's. A British Resistance Organisation, trained to sabotage the German invaders whilst surviving on a limited supply of meagre rations, but never called to action.

These Auxiliary bunkers are found primarily along the South Coast of England, and there are plenty of surviving examples in good condition, mainly perhaps due to the fact they remain hidden as intended. There are also a long line of auxiliary defences right up the East Coast of England, then stop before the border. From there the next examples are around the East Neuk of Fife, presumably protecting the strategically important Forth and Tay.

The posts are essentially an underground Anderson Shelter with main entrance and an emergency hatch exit to the rear. In the past I've noticed the 'secret' exit is often a tube out to a hatch, but in this case it was more of a two room deal with a small door room at one end and a small room with hatch at the other. Both entrances' roofs have caved in at some point.

There was very little inside save for a few unused Blairadam bricks used to build the post, some clay pigeons an old tin pan and bucket. The metal shelter was rusting a fair bit which probably caused the collapse at either end. It's next to a gully and the area is probably pretty damp most of the year.

The only reason it is semi-easy to find from the nearby path is a wooden frame around the hatch, presumably put up as a safety measure by the adjacent Duke's Course.

Thanks to cptpies for posting the GoogleEarth Defence of Britain overlay which I'd seen before but don't remember it being as comprehensive. It prompted me to go look for the Fife Aux posts I'd heard about sooner than planned.

As it's next to it, I also went for a look at the progress of the Craigtoun Hospital conversion. The place is totally covered in scaffolding, some lights are on and security are on site (and talking loudly a middle eastern language(?) on the phone while working ).

Finally, the sky was a peach over the course before I left so I'm posting an HDR pic for my own self gratification. It's fair to say the sky colour is only very mildly enhanced.

Thanks

Default Re: Auxiliary Unit Operations Base, Craigtoun, Fife - July 09

Really nice report mate, and I love the underground bits. Cool

wolfism Guest

Didn't know this existed, thanks for posting it Mr Foz. I take it there are a string of other AUOB's around the Fife coast?

Do have to laugh at the Craigtoun security arrangements though … especially if they have security (plural) on site to watch over what's in effect a large house.

Thanks

No Aux bases as complete as this one. Couple of v bad condition ones.

There are a whole load of things round the coast, but closer inspection of the overlay and the description is usually 'Pillbox (removed)' but there are a few things of note to have a look at, not least the things I knew about and still haven't been to see.

wolfism Guest

One place I keep meaning to have a look at is Fife Ness ... I think the coastguard station is still live(?) but the wartime bits and pieces that related to Crail are abandoned AFAIK.

Thanks

I'll see if I can get an afternoon or something. One or two other things nearby too.

Thanks

Smile Re: Auxiliary Unit Operations Base, Craigtoun, Fife - July 09

Very interesting & well done for finding it!

Thanks

Nice intact little find. I love the idea of a bunker full of stir crazy Fifers surviving on just beans springing into action against the War Machine.

That Google Overlay is fantastic, there's a fair few pillboxes and stuff right on my doorstep I didn't know about. Now if this bastarding rain lets up I might throw myself up a hill to try and find one.

I was at Tentsmuir a few weeks back and never even thought to go and explore all the old defense stuff.

D

Thanks

Tentsmuir is pretty riddled with old buildings and military stuff from WW2.

As for a bunker full of Fifers eating beans for a while - I suspect on that diet the place would empty pretty quickly