Thanks

Arrow Misc tunnels, pipes, caves and other orifice related shizzle, West Yorks, Jan -May 09

A bit different. None of these places warrant a full report, or even a mini report, and I had to wait to get enough to make it worth while.

Behind the cow parsley, somewhere outside Leeds, a hidden doorway to a forgotten place.

Inside the store are shelves. Was it once used by a long demolished farm?

Looking out into the lush greenery. A few steps lead out of the underground room.

In an abandoned quarry is this shelter, not for people but for the Leeds Permanent Building Society, which moved over 100 million pounds worth of property deeds and papers here for safe keeping during the war. A car alarm sounds when you try the locked door.

Heading north from Leeds, a secret doorway between the rocks.

Inside, a rowing boat bobs on the water, sending ripples across the quiet backwater.

Outside Knaresborough, is this cave. St Robert lived here, at the turn of the thirteenth century.

Inside the cave is a small altar.

He died in 1218 and people came on pilgramages to see him when he was alive, or visit the chapel and living quarters.

King John visited here in 1216. That is the year, not the time.

In Knaresborough itself, the Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag was established in 1408. It is believed to be a shrine to the Virgin Mary. King Henry IV granted permission for it to be built. The stonemason's son was nearly killed in a rockfall, and he believed his son's life was saved by the interceding of the Virgin Mary, who the chapel is now dedicated to. It is referred to in a poem by William Worsdworth.

Back in Leeds is this.

Constructed in 1671 by Edward Waddington, this cold water bath is filled from a nearby spring and was once up a time used by many for it healing properties. Although by the mid nineteenth century many of the visitors were local, it was still being used.

Heading west, to the horbury tunnel, a short one.

As part of the Crigglestone curve, this line closed in 1991 to freight, although it was 30 years before that passengers last travelled through it. This part of the line is now cut off at both ends from the rail network. The Royal Train would often stable up here overnight.

Halifax, and a strange grill in the undergrowth.

Water poured out of a pipe before making its way underground under the town.

Alas, I had forgotten my trunks.
    Last edited by boxfrenzy; 27-05-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Used the word Knaresborough too many times. I can only apologise to early visitors to the thread

Thanks

Default Re: Misc tunnels, pipes, caves and other orifice related shizzle, West Yorks, Jan -Ma

I like your report, very interesting.

Thanks

Default Re: Misc tunnels, pipes, caves and other orifice related shizzle, West Yorks, Jan -Ma

wow, fascinating stuff matey, very comprehensive!

Thanks

That's great

love the chapel in the rock.
    that'd make a great Chew HQ
    can you get in it, or shove camera under door??

Thanks

Very interesting, awsome report
    Waiting for a war that never happened....

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİ

Visit http://therocproject.webs.com/

Corrosion= Rust = Decay= Bunkerkid

☻/
    /▌
    / \

Thanks

Smile Re: Misc tunnels, pipes, caves and other orifice related shizzle, West Yorks, Jan -Ma

Some great orifice action going on Rich! Interesting set of photos with cheerful notation!

Thanks

I like it!
    HEFFALUMP!

Quote Originally Posted by TrouserCowboy
    can anyone help me get my 'bell end' out?

Thanks

interesting
    yesterday is history.tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift thats why is called present

Thanks

Love the 'cold bath house' never knew about that!