Thanks

Arrow Deep level air raid shelters, Stockport, March '09

Underneath Stockport, lie miles of hidden tunnels, seven feet high and carved out of the soft sandstone. They are the largest underground shelters in the UK, made to protect the residents of Stockport from the Luftwaffe and their bombs during the second world war. Chestergate shelter has been open to the public since 1989, yet barely half a mile away are Brinksway deep level shelter and Dodge Hill deep level shelter, largely forgotten to all, except the explorer and those who remember the nights spent curled up on the bunks listening to the pounding of the bombs overhead. Lets head to Brinksway first, shall we?
    The original entrances, now bricked up.

After teleporting in, the view from the other side

It took two years to dig out these tunnels. Some needed concrete reinforcement to the roof of the tunnels

It was hot in here, and the air quality in certain parts was thin.
    Many of the bunks remain. Kids and chavs have knocked some them over, but they are in most corridors.

As well as a tool store and a first aid post, most of the shelter was used primarily for sleeping. Obviously, toilets were important. They are just through here.

Here they are. These ones were sluiced out with water from tanks, and were divided by partitions.

You can see some of the remaining footings for the wooden partitions. Most of Brinksway is dry, but here, water drips from the sandstone ceiling.

Imagine my surprise when I turned the corner to find myself on the set of Star Wars

Over on the otherside of the M60 is Dodge Hill. Here is one of the original entrances to the deep level shelter. Rumour has it that there is a steep flight of steps is on the other side of here.

Looking down the steps into the shelter. Most of the rubbish has been pushed down through gaps in the bricked up entrance way.

Looking up towards the bricked up entrance on Dodge Hill

The steps.

The toilets were different in here. These were chemical toilets. Someone would have had the unpleasant job of emptying these every morning.

No I didn't.

Another blocked off entrance

Dodge Hill was less chavved. Bunks remained upright in here.

By the end of 1943, the threat of bombing decreased, and the tunnels weren't open every night. You get an idea of how cramped it would be in this corridor. Triple decker bunks line both sides of the corridor.

I didn't go, but if you fancy some exploring with yer kids, or just don't fancy these fellas, then fear not. Chestergate deep level shelter is now a museum in the centre of town.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to boxfrenzy For This Useful Post: