Thanks

Arrow Antony Gormley's Another Place 03.03.09 ARCHIVED

Another Place consists of 100 cast-iron, life-size figures spread out along three kilometers of the foreshore, stretching almost one kilometre out to sea. Contractors spent three weeks lifting the figures into place and driving them into the beach on the-metre-high foundation piles.

The Another Place figures - each one weighing 650 kilos - are made from casts of the artist's own body and are shown at different stages of rising out of the sand, all of them looking out to sea, staring at the horizon in silent expectation.

The work is seen as a poetic response to the individual and universal sentiments associated with emigration - sadness at leaving, but the hope of a new future in another place.

The artwork is being exhibited in the UK for the first time. It has been previously been seen in Cruxhaven in Germany, Stavanger in Norway and De Panne in Belgium. In November 2006 the statues were expected to move to New York but after a successful appeal they will now permanently remain.

After seeing this place on BBC Coast i had to go well worth the drive possibly the most erie place i have ever been to.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by boxfrenzy; 07-02-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

Default Re: Antony Gormley's Another Place 03.03.09

This is one of his I took in Stavanger, Norway last Christmas.