Islip, Oxfordshire/Fallowfield, Manchester
    Thanks

Default TBM's adventures in Chernobyl and Pripyat, Part 2 June 2013

As continued from before.

So this time we decided to hit a tower block. With the ban on building access in force, our guide decided to take us to an area right in the corner of Pripyat so as not to be seen by any patrols. Very much a case of get up there, don't be seen and get out. Fun. Landie and Zotez decided to check out the many floors in hope of finding something of interest, but me being me I ran on ahead and got onto the roof, so as not to get in the way of the other 2 or be spotted, for that matter.

And what an exceptional view it was!

Unfortunately in 2002, just before the zone was opened to tourists anything of value including metal piping that hadn't been looted already, was plundered by the government in every building. All that really remained here were cookers and minor furniture; very few personal possessions. All the beds had been devoured by rats.

Though we did find a piano downstairs. Could play a few notes still, despite being damaged.

The overgrown playground outside.

Last edited by True_British_Metal; 07-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: TBM's adventures in Chernobyl and Pripyat, Part 2 June 2013

Next stop was the city Kindergarten. Didn't have quite the same rural charm as the other one did, and this one also had the grubby hands of tourists all over it, but the feeling of a childhood lost still lingered whilst exploring this place. Forgive me as this sounds a little peverse given the connotations surrounding this place, but it was a brilliant explore nonetheless.

Looking at this made me feel a bit uneasy; perhaps you could say these dolls act as a metaphor for the severe injuries and deformities caused by the blast.

Thanks

The wall paintings, little toy trucks and dolls are very sad. Great shots. That place is history.
    We've gone on holiday by mistake!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to x-pack For This Useful Post:

True_British_Metal (07-07-2013)

Thanks

Next stop the stadium. I had this weird idea that the stadium would be some grand, epic space but sadly it mostly had been overgrown and become completely desolate. The track was barely visible, and all that remained was a single stand. Very stripped and spartan looking.

Not a lot to see, but it's another ticked off the list isn't it?

Next on the hitlist, the iconic gym and swimming pool. This one didn't close until 1996, having stayed open for the plant workers. Though not majorly affected, unfortunately this one had been hit by graffiti artists. Boo.

Running on ahead of the group, I found something I've never seen before in any reports of this place; the mini-pool.

We did actually annoy our guide a bit here, however; we never heard, but he kept beeping the horn outside for reasons we didn't know. Turns out it was lunch time (losing track of time, eh?) and if you arrive at the canteen late your permit to the zone is revoked! Crazy stuff!

Hope you enjoyed. Stay tuned for reports 3 and 4. Love as always,

TBM x