Thanks

Default 2 in 1 report, camelot theme park, chorley, St josephs orphanage preston, march 2013

Visited with marsden1002 & noodlethesis

After an early get up i went and met noodlethesis at hyde bus station and walked back to mine to wait for marsden1002.
    We then headed off to preston to have a mooch around the st joseph`s orphanage.
    It was a right laugh trying to get into the place, I cut my hand on some glass as well as noodlethesis cutting his hand also. We spent a few hours in there looking around before heading to camelot theme park in chorley.
    We spent about 1 and a half hours looking around camelot and as we was about to leave we got spotted by security and they was shouting swear words at us then they came whizzing over in their little white van, they jumped out like they was going to beat us up with their high viz jackets on lol. They wanted to take a picture of us, so i smiled for them so we then headed home.

Here is some history of camelot

Camelot Theme Park was a resort and theme park located in the English county of Lancashire (the last operating season was in 2012, the park will not open for 2013). The park´s theme was based on the famous legend of Camelot. It was located on a 140-acre (0.57 km2; 0.22 sq mi) site[2] near the village of Charnock Richard, 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Chorley. The site is owned by The Story Group, and was operated by Knights Leisure. The park featured many rides, taking a target audience of families and younger children, however the park also boasted numerous thrill rides and roller coasters, including Whirlwind (a Maurer Söhne spinning coaster), Knightmare and Excalibur. The park was featured in an episode of Sooty & Co., in which presenter Matthew Corbett takes Sooty, Sweep and Soo there.
    The attraction at Charnock Richard, near Chorley, has been open for 29 years and employs more than 150 people during summer months.
    Operator Knights Leisure announced it would not reopen for the 2013 season.

Here are some pictures of camelot

Here is some history of St joseph`s orphanage

Down Theatre Street in Preston (near the Post Office) is the former St Joseph’s Orphanage or Mount Street Hospital as it became know.
    Blog Preston has a request from reader Martin Rue to find out more about it. So, after much searching on the web and drawing blanks, we set off to the Harris Museum and Preston’s Community History Library. Mysteriously, very little is known about St Joseph’s but here is what we did find out.
    It was started in 1872 (according to Hewitson’s ‘A History of Preston) as an orphanage for Roman Catholic girls after an endowment from Mrs Maria Holland who later died in 1878.
    Hewistson writes in his 1883 tombe, ‘A History of Preston’:
    At the southern end of Theatre-street there is a charitable institution called St. Joseph’s Orphanage. It was built and partially endowed by a local Catholic lady – the lake Mrs. Maria Holland – in 1872. The Orphanage is solely for Roman Catholic orphan girls; and they are instructed and generally looked after by nuns. Mr.R.W.Hughes, formerly of Preston, was the architect of the building. Since its opening there have been extensions, the cost of which has been defrayed by Catholics. There are, at present, about 50 orphans here.
    Hewitson then goes on to describe the St Joseph’s Institute which was built onto the orphanage in 1877.
    On the eastern side of, and immediately adjoining, the Orphanage, there is “St Joseph’s Institute for the Sick Poor.” This building, which has its front in Mount-street, was erected out of funds bequeathed for the purpose by Mrs. Holland – the lady who erected the Orphanage; and it was opened in 1877. It is for Roman Catholics; is maintained by voluntary contributions; and is attended; gratuitously, by local medical gentlemen. There is accommodation at this Institute for about 25 patients.
    The only other article in the community archives is a clipping from the Lancashire Evening Post on 3rd September 1987 about the Hospital puzzling over what to do about a painting of Maria Holland that is in the Hospital as they don’t know who donated it. There’s a few further bits of history about the St Joseph’s complex:
    Mount Street Hospital received its first operating theatre in 1910
    In World War 1 it housed wounded British and Belgian soliders
    A new wing was added to the Hospital in 1933
    In World War 2 it was used to care for Dutch and Belgian sailors
    Another new wing was opened in 1958 by Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent
    The nuns who ran the orphanage were originally Dutch and called the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy
    The article references a Sister Winefride, who was retired and living next to the hospital in retirement. Whether she’s still there who knows, but it would be interesting to speak to her about St Joseph’s.
    Maria Holland is an interesting character, as the founder of St Joseph’s, she must of had a lot of wealth. Her obituary is in the Preston Guardian, dated 2nd February 1878.
    DEATH OF A CHARITABLE LADY – HANDSOME LOCAL BEQUETHS
    In our obituary to-day we announce the death of Mrs. Maria Holland, of Bushell-place, at the age of 72. The deceased lady had suffered for some time past from the natural ailments of advanced age, and succumbed to her illness yesterday week. She was a lady possessed of considerable means, and was noted for great liberality, especially among the Roman Catholic community of the town, of which she was a member. She built and largely endowed St Joseph’s Orphanage, in connection with which she has recently caused to be erected a hospital for the sick and dying….
    …The bulk of her fortunate, however, is bestowed upon the St Joseph’s Institution, for a permanent endowment.
    Inside the St Joseph’s complex, which is due to be turned into luxury apartments.

Here is my pics of St joseph`s orphanage

Thanks for looking i hope you enjoyd
    exploring in manchester ?
    give me a SHOUT!!!

tomos25@live.co.uk

Thanks

Default Re: 2 in 1 report, camelot theme park, chorley, St josephs orphanage preston, march 2

That's cracking first report of Camelot I've seen in the day, nice one has any rides been removed?

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Default Re: 2 in 1 report, camelot theme park, chorley, St josephs orphanage preston, march 2

ya everything more or less has gone now apart from the 2 u can see in my report mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    That's cracking first report of Camelot I've seen in the day, nice one has any rides been removed?
    give me a SHOUT!!!

tomos25@live.co.uk

Thanks

I think some of them have been sold abroad.
    Saviour of the sporran

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ERNIE99_UK View Post
    I think some of them have been sold abroad.
    some have also been sent to gulivors world.
    give me a SHOUT!!!

tomos25@live.co.uk

Thanks

Yeah nice to see it in the daytime, good reports

A picture is not a picture without no depth of feeling....

Thanks

What's that massive crane removing at Camelot? I can see why it closed. Totally failed to modernise and keep up with the maintenance. The Secca lot were probably only bothered about the crane. The last remaining rides are still classics. Good to see some daylight shots!

Good research on St. Josephs too!

Thanks

looking good for St Joe's
    http://bluephoenixurbex.piczo.com
    for all my pictures and galleries