Thanks

Default Tiviot dale tunnel and Dodge hill air raid shelters stockport. january 2013

Me noodlethesis, stopford_lad and bobbyg88 met up in the morning and did the tunnels before heading to the twin towers in west gorton.

Formerly a vital part of the North's freight network shouldering much of the burden delivered via Woodhead, the Cheshire Lines Committee opened its route around the south side of Manchester in 1865.
    To the west of Tiviot Dale Station, the line passed through two short tunnels lined in red brick, the first of them sharing the station's name.
    In September 1980, during construction of the adjacent M63 (now M60), contractors caused damage to the tunnel. The line was closed temporarily but never reopened. Officially closed in 1984, track lifting took place in 1986.
    The tunnel is now largely infilled except for a 75-yard central section in which a series of supporting girders has been installed. A church is built on Dodge Hill, directly above the bore

Dodge hill was named after the family Dodge, the same ones who moved to America and made Dodge auto mobiles and also the namesake for Dodge city.

The shelter that is here is carved out of the red sandstone and is one of three in the Stockport area (they all survive, but Chestergate one is a public attraction - I am already on the hunt for Brinksway for the next trip over the hill). These tunnels took upto two years to carve out starting in 1938/1939.

I hope you enjoy the pics

Tiviot dale tunnel

Dodge hill air raid shelters

The old steel beds for the people during the air raids on stockport

The toilets

I hope you enjoyed
    you can find the rest of my pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/sherman30
    Thanks for looking
    exploring in manchester ?
    give me a SHOUT!!!

tomos25@live.co.uk

Thanks

Default Re: Tiviot dale tunnel and Dodge hill air raid shelters stockport. january 2013

Ghost face pic 6

Nice one

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Default Re: Tiviot dale tunnel and Dodge hill air raid shelters stockport. january 2013

can u see that face too? i didnt see that face when i took the pic, i only saw it when i uploaded it on here
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Ghost face pic 6

Nice one
    exploring in manchester ?
    give me a SHOUT!!!

tomos25@live.co.uk

Thanks

Nice to see in these again ...thanks for sharing mate
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."