Well after the wonders of Belgium it was time to find something to get my teeth into in the UK. I had been promising to meet up with Urban SW for a while and decided that a fine day like today would be ideal so after a little organisation last night we felt Pool Parc and then St Marys Site would be idea...these plans changed but not before I finally sampled Pool Parcs famous staircase.
A little history:

Pool Parc is a Grade II listed 16th century structure, which was part of a large estate, once owned by the Salesbury family, the current building was rebuilt for William second Lord Bagot in a half-timbered, mock-Tudor design between 1826 - 1829. However it was apparently lost by the Bagot family on a bet at the races, with the land eventually being divided into lots and mainly sold to a timber merchant.

The estate was acquired by the North Wales Counties Mental Hospital and opened in 1937 to accommodate 87 patients to provide relief from overcrowding at the nearby Denbigh hospital and during the war accommodated up to 120 patients. It has 2-storeys, plus attic, and a slate roof. Boasting nine bay front windows the center three bays are also gabled with a projecting central entrance bay. The entrance has an ornate pilastered porch with coat of Arms above and an arched entrance.

The end of 1949 saw it become a mental health hospital. The gardens continued to be maintained by the patients and a gardener. The walled kitchen garden provided occupational therapy and was hugely productive supplying the Denbigh, Ruthin and sometimes also Glan Clwyd hospitals. The old gardener’s cottage was used as a day room for the patients working in the garden. When the authorities stopped the patients working in the gardens for fear of exploitation, sheep grazed the lawns. Until 1989 when the hospital closed, before eventually being sold to Ian Roberts of Roberts Homes in 1992.

Cheers for looking and thanks Urban Sw for a fun explore