Thanks

Arrow Valley View Forensics. West of Boston 10-2008

This exploration in words and pictures is by the Stooges, on this expedition, Arntzville, Jackson and Captain Jack

Usually I edit down a post to 10 or so pics. With the three of us shooting hundreds of shots and the quality of the location
    I decided to put the best stuff up en mass. I apoligize for my self indulgence

Individually and as a group we have been planning on entering this location for a couple of years. Up till now distances and logistics had stood in our way.
    With a dual pronged pre dawn attack we managed to gain entry and have time to leisurely view the long abandoned Kirk style building, attached newer semi active one and the nurse’s dorm.  This is a difficult location and requires stealth and caution as there is a State Prison within 800 feet and a police station across the road. The abandonments are fenced and the area is regularly patrolled by Campus and State Police.
    The Hospital at one time covered about 200 acres. It was started in 1866/67. Over the years it has expanded and changed. The main structure this photo set focuses on was built in 1894. It contained wards and the forensic department.Replaced by newer more modern buildings it fell into disrepair and was abandoned sometime in the 1960’s. It currently is in very rough shape with many partially and totally collapsed areas.  Caution needs to be used moving around to avoid holes and soft spots in the floors. Remarkably the forensic area was in reasonably good shape despite some huge sections of the roof being missing. The adjacent nurse’s dorm appears to have been abandoned in the early 1970’s.

Because of the proximity of the active hospital and prison the area is well patrolled.

The structures have been abandoned for decades. Heavy decay and numerous collapses  provided us with interesting photo opportunities.

Some sections have collapsed completely into their basements just leaving the ends.

In order to avoid detection we arrived well before dawn and had to carefully thread our way through the holes and collapses in almost total darkness. After having had to move slowly in the dark for we found ourselves in the laboratory area just as the sun was coming up.

After what seemed like hours in the dark, the early light glinting off the glassware and lab equipment was breathtaking.

We were astounded to find the autopsy room and walk in freezer type morgue where in remarkably good condition .Ironically, although they made our task more difficult, the vigorous patrolling of the campus has been to the benefit of this decaying old landmark..

This location had a walk in type , drawless, body storage area.

Muted Colors

Eight is enough

Is there some reason why we don’t have this patients file?

An old shade gently undulating in the morning breeze

Hall of decay

You may put your things in one of these drawers

Broken windows and flowing curtains.

Collapse

Unfinished business

Thanks

Default Re: Valley View Forensics. West of Boston 10-2008

Lost Grandfather

Patients Graves

In the end you are just a number