Thanks

Arrow Abbey House, St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, April 2011

After embarrassingly getting caught by security at another site not too far away (which sadly marked the first time I've ever been caught, I had been quite proud of my several-year, no-incident streak before that), my friend and I decided to take a look at the St Andrews hospital that someone on 28DL managed to find a way inside of just a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately, the place now has security signs all over it for SecuriTay (the same company manning the other place we visited, we were joking that it would be hilarious if the same guard caught us twice in one day), and the entrance he'd used was boarded up again. There's a river running past it and it was a beautiful day, so we went for a stroll down it and stumbled upon a fairly large old mansion lying right behind the hospital that we have no prior knowledge of, completely abandoned. Don't you love it when that happens?

Can't find any reports on the place anywhere, and Google has turned up no information either. I suspect it may have been used as a school or something at one time, because there were cloak rooms with names on coat hangers and other hints. Looks like the building was set alight once, but thankfully the fire didn't spread too far. There's great big metal pylons with security cameras and motion sensors on them placed around the building, as well as a big fence. We got in and out without incident, and spent a good couple of hours there, so I guess nobody is monitoring them. Additionally, there are quite expensive looking floodlights strapped to the building all the way around, with external wiring. Assuming the security company put them up, it would be interesting to see if they're lit up at night.

The place is a bit of a dump inside, and I wouldn't really say it's worth a visit unless you're in the area with nothing to do and love pigeon shit. Looks like it was used as a den by the local kids. I spent most of the time taking photos of the main staircase... Speaking of staircases, this place must have had at least 6 different ones, if not more. It also had quite a large basement that reminded me of a nuclear bunker.

Rather pic heavy, purely because I don't think there are any other photos of it online, and I doubt anyone will ever take the trouble to visit it in future.

*edit* Okay, so the first guy I asked about it knew what it was immediately, so I guess it's not as unknown as I thought!

--

--

--

There was quite a nice old fireplace in one room, it had a few little name plates on it. Most had been stolen, unfortunately.

In colour, just because I'd never seen so much pigeon shit in one bath before.

--

So there you go. Sorry about the excessive number of photos, for those that are bothered by such things.
    Last edited by Revelation_Space; 21-04-2011 at 07:48 PM.