Thanks

Arrow Wales Road Trip - Denbigh Asylum Vs Croesor Rhosydd Mine - Feb 11 (Pic/report heavy)

Wales Road Trip - Denbigh Asylum Vs Croesot Rhosstdd Mine

Been looking forward to this for some time, been meaning to take on the places that Solomon achieved and this is one i can honestly say was the top dog of weekend explores.

We were planning of setting off early in the morning as we had a lot to fit in, unfortunatley my mate slept in so that was'nt possible till 10, We managed to catch the bad weather on the way with heavy snow and the visibility was poor with surface spray off the road, but managed to avoid any stand still traffic jams

My first stop was meant to be "Pool Park Hospital" but unforunately again, we got stopped when entering the road from some chap that lived on the end of it and sent us on our way, after that i did'nt want to take the risk being seen around the Hospital for him to phone the police and then waste more of the time we did'nt really have explaining to the police what we were doing, so off to Denbigh Asylum we went...

History Quote

Denbigh Asylum

History of Denbigh
    Built: 1844 Closed: 1995
    Opened: 1848 Demolished / Renovated: currently under redevelopment
    Location Age: 164 years old Abandonment: main building - 1995, complete site - 2002
    Location Genre: Psychiatric
    Current Status: Being demolished or renovated
    Located In: Denbigh, DenbighshireWL
    Alternate Names: North Wales Lunatic Asylum

Denbigh Asylum was the first psychiatric institution built in Wales under the name The North Wales Lunatic Asylum. Constuction started in 1844 and it took four years to complete.

The hospital had many renovations and was extended from 1867 until 1956, by which time the hospital has 1500 live-in patients and 1000 staff.

Many drugs and treatments were developed at this hospital, including malarial treaments, insulin shock treatments and sulpher based drugs during the 1920's and '30's. The early '40's saw the introduction of electro convulsive therapy (ECT) and prefrontal lobotomy treatments.

The end was in sight for Denbigh when in 1960 Enoch Powell visited the site. Soon after the visit, he announced the "hospital plan" for England and wales, which would see psychiatric care facilities being attached to general hospitals and the introduction of "care in the community".

In 1987 a ten year plan was in place to facilitate the closure of the site. it closed in sections starting in 1991, the main hospital building closed in 1995 and the last of the building were vacated in 2002.

In July 2004, The Prince of Wales visited the hospital and delivered a speech detailing his Phoenix Trust, a historic building trust that prevented the structure from being demolished.

The site is currently awaiting partial demolishtion however, and will then be converted into houses.

The first phase is to build 220 three-bedroom and nearly 100 four-bedroom dwellings.

Phase two, in the main hospital site, will see the creation of apartments, office space and a community facility.
    At least some of this site will be saved and it will not suffer the same fate as Bracebridge Heath.

Visited 2004
    Pictures

When turning the corner in the dark i came across this..

I can honestly say first view of it and i shat myself haha

After our Visit to Denbigh Asylum we drove off to our 5 star sleeping arrangments, after getting settled i asked the "farmer" where the nearest town is for a well deserved drink, he pointed us to the direction across the field saying we could go from pub to pub in the village, when he said that i was'nt expecting he meant 2 pubs!

When walking back we decided to take a short cut across his field, seeing as it had no crops growing, no cattle and it was just a rough field we did'nt think he would of minded, boy we were in for a shock, the guy went mental, dont think the image of us stood wobbling with 2 pint glasses in our hands made it any easier , after calming him down we went to bed

5 Star Shed...

Next morning we set off for Croescot Rhosstdd

We met at the lakeside cafe with the group, then had a long painful walk up the mountain, weather was brilliant was really looking forward to this..

Croescot Rhosstdd

Sorry cant find much history on this

R.I.P Solomon
    He was one of us!
    Jim Lives On

Thanks

Default Re: Wales Road Trip - Denbigh Asylum Vs Croesot Rhosstdd Mine - Feb 11 (Pic/report he

R.I.P Solomon
    He was one of us!
    Jim Lives On