Thanks

Default Sleaford Maltings - Lincolnshire Jan 2011

Sleaford Maltings

In attendance: Horus, forsaken

The Maltings is a Grade II* listed complex built between 1901 and 1907 that consists of nine parallel ranges.

The central block with its engine house and water tower is flanked by six-storey malthouses on either side containing the Steeps, Kilns and Granaries. It has a total floor space of 500,000 square feet, and occupies a site of 13.3 acres with a frontage almost 1,000 ft long. Internally there is a substantial amount of surviving machinery and fittings relating to the maltings process.

Associated with the main maltings buildings are the former Mess Rooms. In separate ownership are also the former Company Housing, Cart Shed, Stables, Weigh Office and other ancillary buildings.

The building overlooks open countryside but it is physically very close to the centre of Sleaford, separated only by the railway line.

Maltings operations ceased in 1959 and the buildings were subsequently used for poultry farming and vegetable processing. They are now all empty.

An application in 1982 to demolish the Maltings was refused at appeal in 1984.

In recent years, Sleaford has experienced an increasing population and an improving economy, and this has opened up a wide range of opportunities for potential uses for the Maltings.

The Visit

Yet another dawn broke and off for a road trip, destination .. Lincolnshire, a long journey to say the least took about 2hrs, while driving down the country lane forsaken saw smoke appearing in the distance, unfortunately 2 cars collided, when we stopped i took it into my stride to make sure everyone was ok, luckily everyone was ok, once past the crash we drove a little more until we saw our challenge, my first thought was "WOW" nothing what i was expecting..

While we were inside the building taking some pictures (as ya do) we heard voices from outside, to our despair we saw this...

We talked and talked some more and finally came to an idea to try and scare them off, So i shouted "Oi, what are you doing? Clear off now" while hidden.

Result!

On with the pictures..

R.I.P Solomon
    He was one of us!
    Jim Lives On

Thanks

Default Re: Sleaford Maltings - Lincolnshire Jan 2011

i really gotta se this place tat stair case is something else
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

Urbexers putting a stop to vandalism, I love it. That staircase really is something special.

Thanks

I love this place its knackered but awesome

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

Great stuff mate, such a nice place to photograph