Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Western Hieghts Drop Redoubt Dover

Hi. This is my first post with pics. Any comments pls

In 1779 money was first allocated for fortifications on the Western Heights but it was not until 1781 that the Board of Ordnance bought 33 acres (13 hectares) of land in order to construct the defences first proposed in the 1778 plan – though by the end of the war, in 1783, the works had not been completed. A 1784 map shows a bastioned fort on the site of the present Drop Redoubt and a series of earthwork batteries.
    Little further work was carried out until the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars in 1793. Plans were then drawn up to enhance the existing fortifications: the defences were to consist of a citadel on the west side of the hill and a redoubt on the eastern side, connected by strong defensive lines.
    The Drop Redoubt was built between 1804 and 1815. Commanding extensive views of the town, harbour and castle, it has barracks for 200 men and was intended to house twelve 24-pounder guns. When the peace treaty with France was signed in 1814 more than £200,000 had been spent on the vast network of fortifications here.
    The perceived threat to Britain posed by Napoleon III, Emperor of France, led in 1859 to a review of the state of the nation’s fortifications. As a result the northern side of the hill was totally relandscaped and the lines connecting the Drop Redoubt and the citadel were improved.
    The massive ditches, between 9 metres (29 feet) and 15 metres (49 feet) in depth, were faced with brick. Covering fire from the Drop Redoubt and North Centre Bastion would have allowed the ditches to be swept with artillery and small-arms fire.
    During the First World War the Heights were primarily used for barrack accommodation. Gun sites, pillboxes and blast shelters were constructed during the Second World War.
    The Army finally abandoned the area in stages between 1954 and 1961.

Many thanks for looking
    Last edited by Nicola; 12-05-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Member requested history adding to the thread.

Thanks

Default Re: Western Hieghts Drop Redoubt Dover

Good effort mate. You've got some decent shots there.

There is a specific format for the title that you need to follow (see here). Don't think you can change it now so one of the mods will need to.

Also, we would expect some history. This may be a link to an external site, a copy and paste job, a reference to a previous members report or your own words, it doesn't matter as long as there is something. Have a look at other people's reports, there are loads of ways of constructing them and you'll develop your own style as you post more stuff. I would definitely recommend sticking a space between each image, makes the pictures easier to see.

Finally, there are a couple of pics that are the same or almost the same. Personally I reckon you could remove these doubles to give the report more impact.

Hope that helps, look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Thanks

+1 on the above.. Nice pics, but maybe a few too many so overall they lose impact.. and without a little background on the location it's a bit Uncle Bob's Holiday Slideshow..

But, it's a good start
    flickr
    To get your bolt out, press "6"

Thanks

Good first report - I like the look of this place! Can you tell us any more about it? If you PM me the details - date visited, history etc I will update your thread for you

Thanks

Looks like a good place for a mooch
    Have you any history?
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”

Thanks

Looks and intresting place mate ....get some history up and it,ll be a nice report
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

wow, really like the look of this place!

flickr my bean

Thanks

Hi. Many thanks for the advice and hopefuly my next post would be a bit better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Good first report - I like the look of this place! Can you tell us any more about it? If you PM me the details - date visited, history etc I will update your thread for you
    Hi Nicola
    Pls see below a brief history and the date was June 1990
    In 1779 money was first allocated for fortifications on the Western Heights but it was not until 1781 that the Board of Ordnance bought 33 acres (13 hectares) of land in order to construct the defences first proposed in the 1778 plan – though by the end of the war, in 1783, the works had not been completed. A 1784 map shows a bastioned fort on the site of the present Drop Redoubt and a series of earthwork batteries.
    Little further work was carried out until the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars in 1793. Plans were then drawn up to enhance the existing fortifications: the defences were to consist of a citadel on the west side of the hill and a redoubt on the eastern side, connected by strong defensive lines.
    The Drop Redoubt was built between 1804 and 1815. Commanding extensive views of the town, harbour and castle, it has barracks for 200 men and was intended to house twelve 24-pounder guns. When the peace treaty with France was signed in 1814 more than £200,000 had been spent on the vast network of fortifications here.
    The perceived threat to Britain posed by Napoleon III, Emperor of France, led in 1859 to a review of the state of the nation’s fortifications. As a result the northern side of the hill was totally relandscaped and the lines connecting the Drop Redoubt and the citadel were improved.
    The massive ditches, between 9 metres (29 feet) and 15 metres (49 feet) in depth, were faced with brick. Covering fire from the Drop Redoubt and North Centre Bastion would have allowed the ditches to be swept with artillery and small-arms fire.
    During the First World War the Heights were primarily used for barrack accommodation. Gun sites, pillboxes and blast shelters were constructed during the Second World War.
    The Army finally abandoned the area in stages between 1954 and 1961.

Thanks

Were they done on film? They look like archive shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast