Thanks

Arrow Edingham Munitions Factory - Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland - 03/2011

At 7:30am I woke up in a very cold (-2 degrees) car, 1 leg in and 1 leg out of the sleeping bag, only 4 hours after driving from Hadrian's Wall to Edingham. It was hard getting to sleep not only with the frosty temperature, but also the massive moon blaring into the car!

Anyway, only 1 mile from the site, I warmed the car and set off, a crisp fresh morning it was, I drove past the farmers house with the intention of coming back and asking for permission to look around the site as others have done so, but first I wanted a quick recce.

I pulled into the industrial estate when I was quickly surrounded by 3 cars, they looked 'boy racer' types, yet this was before 8 in the morning! Was I about to get robbed? My first Scottish contact to be one of violence?

I was about to speed off when they get out and reach back for some boots and a backpack! EXPLORERS! Thank God I thought! I wound down my window and asked "Are you going to look around the bunkers"?

Which I got the reply of "Kind of, I'm in the Army (Scottish) we are on an exercise, we should be gone by Friday. We are training with Airsoft & Explosives"

Me: "Ah cheers lads, I think I'll leave it"

But alas, I wasn't coming all this way and virtually freezing to death for nothing! So instead of getting the likely refusal from the farmer due to the soldiers being on site, I thought I will just photograph the parts the soldiers weren't using!

History of the site:

World War II munitions factory dating from 1939. Irish navvies built it, staying in wooden huts which later were used to house prisoners of war from 1943 to 1947. The munitions factory was built deep underground (backbreaking work for Irish workers). It was located for its convenient access to the Dumfries to Stranraer railway line
    So here is my Edingham Bomb Store report (less the main buildings) The tone of the images should represent how cold it was!! -->>

D-UK
    UE Photos & Videos from 2002 to the present day: www.photoaddiction.co.uk

Thanks

Default Re: Edingham Munitions Factory - Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland - 03/2011

Its a shame thats so far away from me, thats some where I would like to see.
    Great report and photos, is it possble to get underground?

Thanks

Default Re: Edingham Munitions Factory - Dumfries & Galloway - Scotland - 03/2011

don't know about the underground stuff, that quote might be a bit misleading as I think it may mean the bomb stores under the mounds of earth. Although I didn't see the whole of the site.
    UE Photos & Videos from 2002 to the present day: www.photoaddiction.co.uk

Thanks

Wow, I would LOVE to see that.

Excellent.
    Under the radar, over the top

minxy* Guest

Ace, id love a mooch around this place, nice one

wolfism Guest

I gather it's pot luck as to whether the army are using it or not, but the farmer tends to be happy to let folk on if the site's empty. Looks great in the frost, hopefully I'll see this later in the year. Nice one.

Thanks

That looks a real nice place!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Brrrrap'ford brap brap brap brap brap brap brap
    Thanks

Nice

flickr my bean

Thanks

This is not far from my mums house - I might take a wander around it at the weekend!