This was only open as part of the Guildford Heritage day tours, but they open it a few times a year

Another one for you all, top place to see if you manage to get the tickets from the council. Not so great if you are suffering from a massive cider induced hangover...

Foxenden Quarry Deepshelter is in Guildford, underneath a car park on York Road. It was a purpose built public air raid shelter for the people of Guildford. It was one of eighteen other air raid shelters and tunnels in the area, all of which varied in size and were mostly converted cellars and basements. There was also a system of trenches nearby that originated prior to the Foxenden Shelter. The shelter was constructed in 1941 by JB Edwards and Co (Whyteleafe) Ltd in a chalk quarry and was designed to accommodate 1000 people. It was in use until about 1944 when it was deemed that the threat had passed. During the latter periods of use from 1942 it was used for food storage and was considered a candidate for to be converted into a Civil Defence Corps reporting center. This did not happen however and by 1945 the shelter was surplus to requirements and was closed for good. It then sat in this sealed condition until recently when it was 'discovered' during the construction of the car park. This has caused it to remain in a near perfect, undamaged and un-vandalised condition.

The shelter is situated about 50 feet underneath the public tennis courts in Guildford and and is accessed by two steel doors in the car park. Evidence of the surface structures can be seen alongside the tennis courts, these being the block houses at the top of the emergency exit shafts both of which are comprehensively sealed.

The shelter is constructed by first having tunnels cut out of the chalk, which are then lined with two courses of bricks. The rear most course of bricks on either side is slightly higher than the inward side to provide a 'step' to allow the sharply angled 'V' shaped roof to fit. This provides an inherently strong structure. The void above the roof was then packed with spoil to further strengthen the shelter. The floor is concrete throughout and some tunnels remain unlined.

The shelter has a 1st Aid post, three toilet blocks (both male and female) two combination air vents/ exit shafts and a shelter marshall's office. There was also a bay set aside for the children of Sandfield School. There is also evidence of running water, electricity and lighting, air circulation and beds in some of the bays. [taken straight from what Flat4 has written]

Not strictly UE as it was an open day, but fuck me this has to be one of the best deep shelters in the country....and the guide knew of our website ops:

The signage is fucking amazing

Tunnels - forst one i have seen with a pointy ceiling

Load more HERE

Was a good day, gald to have some time to do something other than fucking study, even if i was hanging out of my hoop