Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    wader3 Guest

Default RAF Saxa Vord, Unst, Shetland. Report 2009

This is the most Northern place in the UK. A local told me the place was deserted, so I drove up for a look around. The Base itself has been empty since 2004, but the accommodation village a couple of miles south is now part of a tourism initiative. (Good luck, nice place but a bit far for most!)

I've left it a while because 1 I never find the time to do all the uploading, but 2 because the place is so remote, I'm pretty sure they'd know who was snooping - the local was one of a handful of residents occupying this island. Oh, and I did later find it's not completely deserted, the radar is still maintained and perhaps I could have been shot afterall

RAF Saxa Vord was a radar station operated by the Royal Air Force. It was situated on the island of Unst, one of the Shetland Islands in the north of Scotland. Its radar provided long-range coverage of the airspace to the North of Scotland. The station's motto "Praemoneo de Periculis", Forewarn of Danger, reflected its role.
    The island of Unst has played an important part in the defence of the UK since the outbreak of the Second World War.
    From around 2000 until 2 April 2004, the station operated as RRH Saxa Vord, an unmanned Remote Radar Head operated from a parent station (RAF Buchan). On 2 April 2004, RAF Saxa Vord was upgraded from a Remote Radar Head to a full manned station, taking over control of the radar defences in the area. RAF Buchan will be downgraded to a Remote Radar Head. RAF Saxa Vord closed in April 2006.

Last exit to nowhere...?

I thought about going up this as I figured it was out of use...glad something held me back...

Notice how this gate is now open... (and how quick the weather changes...)

Gate to electric sub station

Anyone want to compete for the furthest north vehicle UK?

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Saxa Vord, Unst, Shetland. Report 2009

Wow mate, so is it operational at the moment?
    Under the radar, over the top

Thanks

I love this!

wader3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KingElvis View Post
    Wow mate, so is it operational at the moment?
    Yeah, there was me wandering around in the fog and some maintenance contractors arrived. I just said I was being nosey as a local told me it was disused - they said it was but the radar dome building is still maintained which is what they were doing. I guess just so it's ready if they want to reinstate it. They were quite nice and just suggested I leave.

There really is no need to board up buildings and have security in this sort of a place. I stayed in a youth hostel - about 30 beds and I was the only person there - not even any staff!

Thanks

Thats sweet mate when you get home make sure all the radio waves and exposure to high end military equitment hasnt left you with super powers, top stuff

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Thanks

This is great i,m over in Uist this summer doing the north and south so will be sure to check this out ...i always thought Cape Wrath was the most northerly point ?
    "God will forgive them. He'll forgive them, and allow them into heaven. I can't live with that."

Thanks

This is excellent

Thanks

Cool - glad you didn't get shot!

Thanks

Wow, thats amazing!

wolfism Guest

Cheers for posting, bet I'm not the only one who's occasionally wondered what Saxa Vord was like.

Coops – afaik Cape Wrath is the most north-westerly point on the Scottish mainland (Dunnet Head is the most northerly), but Saxa Vord is pretty much at the northern end of the Shetland Isles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast