The images for the film are finished! We were only missing pictures of the nuclear plant itself for the set. Therefore, the most important goal of this autumn’s journey was obtaining the necessary permits and entrance to the terrain of the plant. And it was not easy. Permission to enter may only be obtained by workers of other power plants or scientists working in connection with nuclear energy. Journalists are also refused entry. So it was a great joy when we finally succeeded!
This autumn’s trip was also dedicated to finishing up some shots which weren’t done in spring when the main part of the film was shot. And things that were out of focus, or I forgot to turn on the camera at the key moment. We also reached a couple new places.
Also, again we noticed many changes which occurred since out last trip (in spring). And that is what we will start this latest report with. Part of the changes is, of course, the influence of nature, more frequent rain. Water starts to drip through increasingly leaky roofs to increasingly lower floors, destroying everything on its way. Damp destroys the remains of furniture, wallpaper, items left there. In the middle of rooms, small trees grow which sooner or later will bring further destruction with their roots. The result is such that whole floors, and even buildings, increasingly frequently threaten to collapse. It is especially necessary to watch out for balconies which tend to collapse first. There are already 2 buildings in the zone which have at least partly collapsed and more parts of which may fall off at any moment. The result? During the last visit going up to the roofs was strictly forbidden. At least in theory.

Further changes are the result of people’s actions. These can be divided into two groups. The first is tourists who, to a large extent, contribute to the devastation of the zone and the items remaining there. The second group is people who dismantle the most valuable items in the zone, I don’t know whether or not they are doing this legally. And what could the most valuable thing in the zone be? Metal, of course. Not precious metals, but ordinary ones. Metal from cars, metal from construction works and the remains of machines found there. Everywhere you can see containers and oxy-acetylene torches, sometimes working people, too. In this very way block 5 and 6 of the reactor are disappearing. Not only the equipment inside the building is disappearing - but also even one of the building’s roofs. Entrance onto the roof of block 5/6 was already technically difficult before, now it is a truly reckless endeavour

Since many readers have specially requested it, here are some more pictures from inside block 5/6:

And now the zone is disappearing. Irretrievably. At moments like these I really regret that I didn’t start coming here 10 years ago instead of only 3. And at the same time I’m glad that during these 3 years I was able to collect such substantial photographic material. Most of these objects will certainly disappear soon. Only the concrete skeletons will remain, and nature will finish the job on its own.
But as some of you surely know, block 5 and 6 are not the most metallic constructions in the zone. What has more metal and is located in the zone? The Moscow Eye, of course. The antenna is also a great temptation for scrappers. Note what lies at the foot of the antenna. One thing is certain, it did not fall down by itself. At the ends of each element, you can see clear cuts from torches.

Of course, during this trip we also visited all the most important buildings and places which were the subject of my previous reports. As in the previously described places, we want to see the changes that are inevitably taking place everywhere. But I won’t bore you with pictures of the same places again. For a change, I will show you something different, the work of the photographers I had the pleasure to work with in the zone. The first is a collection of three dimensional photos. At first, seeing my friend with two small manual shutter release cameras connected with a bar, I had doubts about the outcome. But the effect exceeded my expectations. But to see a good three dimensional image, you need to look at the pictures on a large monitor. At least 20 inches, or even bigger. And don’t forget to put on your 3D glasses too, ordinary ones with blue and red foil/glass panes are sufficient. These are the first 3D pictures from the zone that I have seen. I’m probably not revealing anything new by saying that these present the atmosphere prevailing in the zone even more closely and in greater realism......................

FULL PHOTO ESSAY + ALONE IN THE ZONE FILM TRAILER HERE: http://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/?p=3130

Arek