Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Default Re: 1880 Channel Tunnel Attempt - 29/3/09

I believe the tunnel is 800 feet long, I didn't venture far at all, maybe 100 feet at the most.
    There was no air flow and the water gets worse as the tunnel goes on. The gas I remember smelt a bit like methane, and no it wasn't anybody with me causing this or myself.
    I had been prewarned about the air quality before entering and without a mask I wasn't planning on exploring the entire tunnel.

Click pic for Flickr

Thanks

thats very interesting
    yesterday is history.tomorrow is a mystery. today is a gift thats why is called present

Thanks

Love it mate - really good work

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryda View Post
    I believe the tunnel is 800 feet long, I didn't venture far at all, maybe 100 feet at the most.
    There was no air flow and the water gets worse as the tunnel goes on. The gas I remember smelt a bit like methane, and no it wasn't anybody with me causing this or myself.
    I had been prewarned about the air quality before entering and without a mask I wasn't planning on exploring the entire tunnel.
    Hmmmmmm sounds like rot down there any wood/ or other stuff you could see what could give that smell ?, did it get worse when you moved the water/mud ..... ?

Thanks

The sleepers were down there of course and the smell got worse as we stepped through the different puddles of green water.

Click pic for Flickr

Thanks

Seeing as quite a lot of you replied to this thread and the fact my pictures aren't great I managed to arrange a re-visit. This time myself and Oldie68 (not on here) went down as far as possible. Myself in wellies and Oldie in waders. I made it about 25ft away from the large roof fall where I had some serious welly leakage and had to take refuge on some slippery chalk. Paul waded on and turned from photographer to explorer leaving his camera behind. The rock fall went up about 25 yards from the original bore top and had acted as a dam for the water, so behind the rock fall the water was approx 1ft from the roof.

The entrance adit.

looking down the bore (again lol)

An amazing bit of graffti by William Sharp, "This tunnel was begubnugn in 1880".

Oldie goes photographer to explorer

Oldie going towards the roof fall

Click pic for Flickr

Thanks

Default Re: 1880 Channel Tunnel Attempt - 29/3/9 - Revisitited 14.11.10

Seriously interesting stuff I had know idea they had a go at it before the one we have now, good pics too!

"How come the compression is so bad on all those shots man? It looks like they've been edited with a Commodore 64." JST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12