PDA

View Full Version : Volcrepe Mill, Glossop, Derbyshire - poetic audio-tour field-recording

Mark Goodwin
28-05-2014, 04:07 PM
6th May 2014

Toured Volcrepe Mill with my Roland R-26 recorder, and my voice. Superb echo-chamber of a place, drenched in historical resonance.
You can listen to the recording here: https://soundcloud.com/glossop-brook/glossop-brook-volcrepe-mill .

This audio piece came about as part of my being commissioned, by Leicester University's New Centre For Writing, to write five poems about Glossop's mills. http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/english/creativewriting/centre/creative-writing-commissions

mr beardy
30-05-2014, 11:34 AM
:worthless

Mark Goodwin
30-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Dear Mr Beardy,

My recent field-recording is indeed worthless to you, as you have so clearly made that statement. That's a shame. However, some folks do listen to the radio, and to audio documentaries, and lots of them obviously feel that sound recording is worthwhile. Some folks even feel that poetry has some value - forgive me if I have made a wrong assumption about you, but I'm guessing you are not someone who values poetry ... ? Be delighted if you prove me wrong on that one!

The visual images on this site are often excellent, and have inspired me, and do indeed contribute hugely to documenting the state of a location at a moment in time. They are worth lots! However, a 'place' is not only made of what is seen - there is so much sound, so many noise details and acoustic qualities that are just as vital a part of a location. I feel that it would be good if more field-recordists explored such locations and posted them on this and other similar sites. I also feel that a collaboration between a photographer and field-recordist would also deepen the way such sites are documented.

Going back to poetry, or spoken word in general - a place is not only made of things seen and heard, but there are also smells. I have been careful to record, through words, something of the smell that is distinct to Volcrepe Mill.

I hope I've changed your mind. If I haven't then I'd be very interested to hear your reasoned argument as to why the aural and olfactory are not as important as sight.

Kind regards, Mark Goodwin

FudgeUE
30-05-2014, 12:10 PM
There was once a man called beady,
He was extremely tall and weedy,
But this is not the man that we know,
As he has a lot of love to show.

He likes to take me into mills,
And nosh them off to pay his bills,
He says he likes the industrial heritage,
But really he just want their milky beverage.

This is why we love Sir Beady.

The end.

Mark Goodwin
30-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Good man!

I'm smiling!

Great reply!

Thank you!

fowle
30-05-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting a reply from Mr Beardy.

mr beardy
30-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Nothing like taking something personal. I'm a picture person. That is all.

myke
30-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Not into poetry either and a picture paints a 1000 words but hey you like it so maybe there's more interest. If like me its not your thing just don't click the link !

Welcome Mr Mark Goodwin

Mark Goodwin
31-05-2014, 12:04 AM
Actually, I've made a mistake here. I'm afraid I thought you were Mr Beardy, being witty. So, my apologies to Mr Beardy, because I'm not really into taking the piss out of people.

Mark Goodwin
31-05-2014, 12:09 AM
My apologies, stupidly I thought you'd sent the verse reply in this thread (d'oh), and that you were being witty and self-deferential, I now realise that the verse was sent by someone else, so, my initial reply to them, that was meant to you, is now withdrawn. I'm really not into making fun of of people.

Enjoy being a picture person!

Kind regards, Mark

Mark Goodwin
31-05-2014, 12:13 AM
You know what, your last musical line, which has much wisdom in it, has a rather good half-rhyme on 'thing' and 'link'. So, praps the poetry thing ain't as much not-your-thing as you think. :)

Kind regards, Mark

mr beardy
31-05-2014, 01:34 AM
K thanks .

Regard Mr Beerday

FudgeUE
12-06-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm not into making fun of people either, I'm into destroying their emotions.

mr beardy
12-06-2014, 10:53 PM
I'm not into making fun of people either, I'm into destroying their emotions.

Destroying their arses more like