PDA

View Full Version : Archived: RAF West Raynham by night June 2011

Shadow_Ops
16-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Visited with DJ Oska

Well, Last night we thought we would bite the bullet and hid the airfield side of West Raynham. After a short walk from the car up the side of the airfield once we got to the taxiway nerves were on edge constantly checking round after every noise and car engine. We made our heading to the control tower across the Taxiway, we heard an engine grumbling looking further up the taxi way I let out a sting of expletives follwed by the word 'plane'. There was a small civilian aircraft coming towards us, as we ducked down into the grass the plane took off and circled overhead twice between us and the control tower at very low altitude.

After the made our way round the edge of the main control tower to find no way in. So, not letting it get to us we headed for the other control tower in the bushes near the hangers for a little nose around. after finding it too dark to take any photos without flash which would draw attention we decided to aim for the trainer dome which again was locked down tight.

In the darkness we saw a flash of headlights around the hangers. so moved carefully back to the long grass near the main control tower. As we made our way past the control tower we saw a search light ontop of a 4x4 flash towards us... oh s**t this is us busted... cammando crawling through the grass we waited til the vehicle had made its way to the end of the taxiway/runway and made a sprint for it accross to the end hanger. At this point we realised the vehicle was heading back our way and dived into the grass, with our hearts beating in our ears we couldnt hear the 4x4... carefully raising heads above the grass like meerkats we realised that the vehicle had benn joined by another 1 or 2 over the other side of the airfield, this was it 'do or die' we made a spring back along to the road we enterd on by the old jet blast wall and carefully picked our way down the track to the road.

Back at the van we were sweating but pleased we werent caught. Instead of seeing it as an epic fail, we looked on it as an awesome Recce mission. I appologise for only getting 2 postable images. Hopefully chris can drop on a couple of videos of the aircraft... so hears my only 2 decent shots of the night:

1 control tower
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/shadow_ops_01/DSCF0603.jpg

2 yours truly infront of the tower
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee51/shadow_ops_01/DSCF0604.jpg