PDA

View Full Version : Does any one know what this was

fortman
12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Can anyone tell me what this was used for. These pics was taken back in the late 80's early 90's. It was directly across the road to Dagenham East tube station in Essex and next to the tube lines. Also it was close to May & Bakers Pharmasutical co. In one of the rooms on the lower floor it had a wheel which was segmented, carved into the wall, it looked like one of those mill stones. It was so neat and precise to be the work of vandals. Unfortunatly I did not take a pic of it as I ran out of film. Sadly this building no longer exists as it was demolished to make way for the Eastbrookend country park extension back in the early part of 2006

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g433/fatdad10/dagenham%20east/PD0212.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g433/fatdad10/dagenham%20east/PD0211.jpg

scottj
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Gawd knows mate but it sure looks cool;)

SaltGeorge
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
DOB shows several anti-tank blocks in the area, and the small concrete blocks appear to be anti-tank obstructions. The large concrete structure looks like a bit more than a standard pillbox. Unfortunately DOB seems to be missing some entries in this area.

The PSG might have some more information, but I can't see anything relevant on the site on a quick glance through. Might be worth raising it on their forum for responses.

Bunkerkid
14-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Tank traps and a massive bad ass pillbox, if a war broke out back then id sure know where to go!

SaltGeorge
14-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Tank traps and a massive bad ass pillbox, if a war broke out back then id sure know where to go!

Anywhere except into a pillbox! they were considered infantry deathtraps even as they were being built..

Fortman.. do you want this raised on the PSG forum? see if someone there knows some details..

Bunkerkid
14-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Anywhere except into a pillbox! they were considered infantry deathtraps even as they were being built..

Fortman.. do you want this raised on the PSG forum? see if someone there knows some details..

Anything is better than under my bed :lol:

fortman
14-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi. What would be great. Many thanks

SaltGeorge
15-05-2011, 10:33 AM
One response (http://pillboxstudygroup.freeforums.org/post1884.html#p1884) so far..

Looking at the OS maps I feel that this is either part of the London (inner?) defenses, or more likely part of the Dagenham motor works defences.

Either way, they should be recorded as an important, and possibly unique, defense site.

The anti tank blocks look as though they are the quite rare "drain pipe" pattern and the pillbox looks very interesting.

.. hopefully one of the PSG members from the London area will be able to add more info.

Munchh
16-05-2011, 08:14 PM
The first thing that leapt into my mind when I saw it was 'Mine control tower' but could be way off. Best of luck with it though as the conical AT blocks are just as interesting for me. Thanks for posting.

fortman
17-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Imperial War Museum Seams to think it my be some sort of anti tank position. Going to check with my local councils archives dept.

fortman
26-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Imperial war museum, local council archives and mod all have no clue what it was.

Krypton
27-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Imperial war museum, local council archives and mod all have no clue what it was.

The MOD are shit with stuff like that. Normally its just because they cant be arsed to look. I had loads of chew trying to find ROC information.

jcw1967
27-05-2011, 11:51 AM
The only thing I've seen that were similar was a series of blocks in quarries that held some sort of conveyor belt system for stone or some such material, such as outside of Leyburn in the Dales. But the round top is unusual and they're usually concrete.
Great photos though, very unusual blocks.

SaltGeorge
27-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Just looking through the TNA archives, NHER databases.. the problem is one if filing and categorisation, you sometimes have to work through some really convoluted logic to get to a search phrase that turns up what you're looking for. The MOD didn't exist as such until 1946 and the inherited records are for the most part at Kew under TNA and require you to physically walk through the door to read the documents, likewise for the records that went to IWM. Most of these organisations don't know the half of what they posess, and they don't have the resources to be able to look up every request.

Angles of research I would try on this site..

Local council archives - look for Board of Works notes and minutes, potentially as early as 1944 but more likely in the period 1946-51 that might refer to surveys/lists of defensive structures to be removed/retained.
Local council heritage and environment department - always worth writing a letter or email outlining your interest. They may have additional photographs on file that show additional details.
London Metropolitan Archive - searchable under the TNA website, if nothing is listed under the location it would be worth looking for papers on the London Inner Defences, or Ford/Dagenham Motor Works in case it's an outpost of the factory defences, likewise for other large factories in the area.
TNA - defensive positions are usually manned and as the war progressed regular units were generally replaced by Home Guard units, so the War Diaries of the local Home Guard regiment or it's parent Area Group might have a reference buried away in them.
Hansard - it's an outside chance, but occasionally the local MP raised a question after the war if something wasn't being done - e.g. mines being cleared, scrap not recovered, obstructions removed from the highway.

fortman
02-06-2011, 11:15 PM
defence of britain seems to think that it could be a searchlight position, with the bottom part housing the genny and a pill box on top as part of the local stop line. waiting to hear from the british libary maps dept.